Saturday 1 December 2012

Exercise - The Simple Past Tense


Name:……………………………………       Class:...............           Date:…………………
Complete the sentences with the SIMPLE PAST. Use the verbs given.
closed             fought            won               drew              caught                felt                  froze                put

swept             heard              taught            flew               broke                  drove              sold                  fell

rose               hung               did                 ate                 made                   met                cut

1.   I …………………….the kitchen floor with a broom.
2.   A bird …………………….. into our apartment through an open window.
3.   I ……………………….. the bird in my hands and put it back outside.
4.   My father ……………………me how to make furniture.
5.   It got so  cold last night that the water in the pond………………………… .
6.   When I heard about Sue’s problem, I ……………………..sorry for her.
7.   Alex………………………… a map for us to show us how to get to the museum.
8.   A few minutes ago, I ………………………….on the radio about a bad plane accident.
9.   Joe had an accident. He………………………off the roof and………………………his leg.
10.  Sam………………………the race. He ran the fastest.
11.  Ted……………………………his car to Alaska last summer.
12.  The soldiers……………………………the battle through the night and into the morning.
13.  I used to have a camera, but I …………………………..it because I needed the money.
14.  Jane didn’t want anyone to find her diary, so she……………………it in a shoe box in her closet.
15.  There was a cool breeze last night. I opened the window, but Brad got cold and……………..it.
16.  We…………………..at the new restaurant last night. The food wasn’t very good.
17.  Jason………………….an excellent job of glueing the broken vase together.
18.  The sun..…………………at 6.21 this morning.
19.  My friend gave me a painting for my birthday. I…………………….it on the wall in my office.
20.  Howard is a good carpenter. He……………………… the house in which he and his family live.
21.  Danny and I are old friends. We…………………..each other in 1975.
22.  Joy was barefoot. She stepped on a piece of broken glass and……………………..her foot.

3 comments: